☞ NOTE: All new BigCommerce trial stores are in preview mode by default.
How do I know my store is in preview mode?
- When NOT logged in to your BC stores admin panel, your store will show this screen. Open your temporary domain in an incognito window if you're unsure.
Why do I need to do to launch my store out of preview mode for Quote Ninja to work?
- It is not a "requirement," but as long as your store is in Preview Mode, it does limit what you can use and test in the Quote Ninja app, and will lead to a poor demo/testing experience
- Many of our advanced APIs only function when a store is accessible. In preview mode, our APIs are unable to make the necessary connections to your store.
What Happens if I don't take my store out of Preview Mode?
- You will not be able to add products to quotes easily if at all
- Products with options/variations will likely not load or price properly
- Quotes may generate many errors.
But.... I'm not ready to launch my store!!!!
- And that's OK!
- Before BC put all new stores in this preview mode, they had a "Maintenance Mode" setting.
- It's still available, and does essentially the same thing ;-) Details Below ⇩
Here's how you launch your store out of preview mode, and then start using Maintenance Mode.
- Launch Store from Dashboard.
- Optional: Edit Robots.txt if worried about search engines indexing site before it goes live.
- Use Maintenance Mode if you're worried someone will stumble upon your site in development.
Unless you've already pointed your domain, we find that it's much easier to work on a "launched" store at the temporary domain yourstore.mybigcommerce.com than it is to mess with a preview code all the time.
1. Launching Your Store
On the bottom of the dashboard when logged into your stores control panel click "Launch Store" button. (Store owner user in BC must do this.)
2. Robots.txt - What about Google Indexing my site while in development?
- Optional, and really only relevant if you plan to leave your store accessible 100% of the time. (ie: you won't be toggling maintenance mode on and off).
Replace your Robots.txt in BC with the following:
This tells all robots (search engines) to not visit any page on the site.
☞ IMPORTANT: When you set the site live, be sure to revert back to the default robots.txt.
To view or edit the Robots.txt file, go to Store Setup › Store Settings › Website tab and scroll down to the HTTPS section
A copy of the default robots.txt can be found here: Robots.txt (Posted At BigCommerce Support.)
3. Using Maintenance Mode
This is usually only used if you've already pointed a domain at the new store. Temporary domains, esp. w/ a robots.txt set to disallow have a very slim chance of being found by anyone, even if they're looking for it!
If you do want to prevent non-admin users from viewing your site again, just put it in maintenance mode, and leave them a friendly message that you'll be online soon with the support of some Quote Ninjas!
IN BigCommerce goto:
Store Setup>Store Settings
It's the first option on the page under Store Status.